Vehicle registration fees in Victoria

Learn about registration fees in Victoria.

What fees do I pay?

When you register a vehicle you pay:

  • Registration fees (this includes the TAC charge)
  • Motor vehicle duty
  • Number plate fee.

Registration fees

This fee depends on the type of vehicle being registered. For example, if you have a Sedan, Sedan, 4WD, Ute’s

Transport Accident Commission charge (TAC)

This fee depends on the area or ‘risk zone’ your vehicle is usually kept. The payment goes to treatment and support services for people involved in a transport accident. You may see this broken up into a TAC Charge and a Duty charge on your registration renewal letter.

Go to About the Transport Accident Commission charge to learn more.

How do I calculate fees?

Use the calculator located on this page to find out your total cost based on your vehicle type and postcode. Or, you can refer to the table below.

If you have a sedan, station wagon, hatch or 4WD

Vehicle locationTotal payable registration fee
Metropolitan area (high risk zone)$834.80
Outer metropolitan (medium risk zone)$779.80
Rural (low risk zone)$716.00

Goods carrying vehicles – up to 2 tonnes

These are vehicles for carrying goods including utility and dual cab ute.

Vehicle locationTotal payable registration fee
Metropolitan (high risk zone)$835.90
Outer Metropolitan (medium risk zone)$706.10
Rural (low risk zone)$581.80

Light trailer and caravans

Vehicle typeReg fee
Trailer (including caravans)
Private* or Business Use or Government, Shire, Council and Approved Bodies

* Private use is defined as a vehicle that is used exclusively for social, domestic or pleasure purposes.

Concession and discounts

Go to Registration concessions to see if you can apply a concession or exemption on your vehicle registration.

Learn more

Need more help?

Call 13 11 71 and speak to one of our friendly staff who can help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Us